Lorna Collins, PhD (Cantab), FHEA.
Date of Birth: 24/12/81
Home Address: Horse Leas, Hawthorne Farm, Hyde End, Great Missenden, Bucks. HP16 0RL. UK.
Telephone: +44 (0)7890 059398
E-mail: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
01/14-01/15 PG Cert Learning and Teaching (Higher Education), Anglia Ruskin University.
09/13-09/14 MA Fine Art, Cambridge School of Art, Anglia Ruskin University. (Distinction).
10/08-07/11 PhD ‘Making Sense’ (Psychanalysis of Art Object), Jesus College, Cambridge.
10/07-07/08 MPhil ‘European Literature and Culture’ Jesus College, Cambridge (High Distinction).
09/06-07/07 BA ‘Media, Culture and Communications’, Greenwich University. (Degree in 1 year, First Class Honours).
- 01/18 Certified in Mental Health First Aid,MHFA England.
- 02/15 Appointed Fellow of Anglia Ruskin University.
- 01/15 Appointed Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- 03/10: Entente Cordiale language scholarship.
- 01/10: Elected life member of AICA (International Association of Art Critics).
- 04/09: UK Arts and Humanities Research Council scholarship.
- 12/08: Foundation Scholarship from Jesus College, Cambridge.
- 10/08: The Odette de Mourgues Scholarship, Cambridge.
- 09/07: Gold Medal for Outstanding Achievement from the University of Greenwich.
Career History:Clinical Work and Research
- 2019: Time to Change Hub Coordinator, Bucks Mind.
- July 2019: Co-presenting the Oxford New Care Model to patients at Cotswold House EDU, Oxford.
- July 2019: Part of Oxford Health Panel, presenting New Care Model to NHS England, at NHSE HQ, Reading.
- 04/06/19: Representing Time to Change Bucks, lecture on Mental Health, St. Mary’s Fellowship, Chesham.
- 2019: Member, MARCH Network Steering Group, building research and ‘resilient communities’ with mental health.
- 2019: Building RSPH online Arts Health Training Course, MARCH Network.
- 2019: Buckinghamshire Representative, Arts Health Early Career Research Network.
- 2019: ‘Pets as Therapy’ volunteer (with @foxy.the.therapy.dog) at Ruby Ward, Whiteleaf Mental Health Centre, Aylesbury.
- 2018-19: Lecturing and research with the medical team, on patients with co-morbidity in eating disorders. Cotswold House Ward, Warneford Hospital, Oxford.
- 2018: Arts in Health Project Worker, Central and North-West London NHS Trust. Leading arts in health projects and developing research for mental health patients.
- 2017-18: ‘Making Sense: The Art Van’, leading therapy workshops for displaced ‘Adivasi’ tribes across Chhattisgarh, India.
- 2012-13: Assistant at art therapy group for patients suffering from dementia and Alzheimer’s at Deighton Ward, Fulbourn Hospital, Cambridge.
- 2009-2010: Teaching art and helping with care of the orphans, ‘Hope of Children’ orphanage/temple, Battambang Province, Cambodia.
Career History: Work as an Arts Educator, Researcher, Academic.
- 2016: Artist-in-Residence and lecturer, MA Art Therapy Programme, School of Creative Industries, Faculty of Fine Arts, Media and Creative Industries, LASALLE College of the Arts, Singapore.
- 2015: ‘Art and Cognition’, leader of workshop at Faculty of Education, University of Cambridge.
- 2014 – 2016: Lecturer and Course Leader, Media Studies, Art Theory and Contextual Studies, Anglia Ruskin University.
- 2014-2015: Lecturer, Art Theory and Contextual Studies, HNC/HND art students, Cambridge Regional College.
- 2013: Assistant lecturer in Art Theory, ‘Identities’ module for 2ndyear arts degrees undergraduates, Cambridge School of Art, Anglia Ruskin University.
- 2012: Lecturer, course leader, ‘Modern and Contemporary French and Francophone Culture: Articulations of the Real’ (Contextual Studies), MPhil. students, University of Cambridge.
- 2011-12: Lecturer at the Sorbonne, Université Sorbonne Nouvelle, Paris III (Anglophone Culture, Contextual Studies).
- 2011-12: Lecturer at Université Panthéon-Assas, Paris II (Anglophone Culture, Contextual Studies).
Career History: Writer.
Publications, books and chapters:
- 2019/20. The Butterfly.
- 2017 (2014). Making Sense: Art Practice and Transformative Therapeutics. London: Bloomsbury. New edition.
- ‘Together at the limit: Jean-Luc Nancy, art and community’ in Nancy and Visual Culture. Edinburgh University Press.
- 2014.Deleuze and the Schizoanalysis of Visual Art(author, co-editor with Ian Buchanan). London: Bloomsbury.
- ‘Classe Relais: On therapy as a technique of the self’in Making Sense 3: On Beauty, Creativity and Healing. Peter Lang USA.
- 2013 Making Sense 2: Merging Theory and Practice(author, co-editor). Oxford: Peter Lang.
- 2011Making Sense 1: For an Effective Aesthetics (author, co-editor) Oxford: Peter Lang.
- 07/19. Featired in article on Adult Eating Disorders (and recovery), Insight, Oxford Health magazine.
- 04/19. Interview on BBC Radio Oxford.
- 24/02/19. Featured in article in Oxford Mail, ‘Former lecturer Lorna Collins speaks about 18-year battle with anorexia’.
- 02/19. BBC1 ‘Inside Out’, featured in coverage of Eating Disorder Awareness Week.
- ‘My Best Medicine’ podcast about art and healing, in Culture, Health and Wellbeing, December 2018.
Publications for The Guardian:
- 11/07/19. ‘Doctors couldn’t diagnose my mental health problems. But then they saw my art. I was sectioned until painting changed my life. Now I want to help other people heal through embracing their artistic side’ (Blood, sweat and tears, Guardian Society).
Publications forThe Independent:
- 1/04/19. ‘How one woman’s mission to help indigenous Indians backfired into post-empire soul-searching’, (Long Read, Indy Minds).
- 25/02/19. ‘Now I have this thing called life’: How art, family and my dog helped me overcome anorexia’, (Long Read, Indy Minds).
- 21/12/06 ‘David Smith, Sculptures’, review of ‘David Smith, Sculptures’, Tate Modern.
- 22/07/06 ‘Passion’, preview of Festival at Traverse Theatre, Edinburgh.
- 10/06/06 ‘Howard Hodgkin’, preview of this retrospective at Tate Britain.
- 10/06/06 ‘Marcel Breuer – Design and Architecture’, preview of this exhibition at ‘The Lighthouse’, Glasgow.
Publications for The Southwark News (the Art Criticism column):
- 06/11/08 ‘Rothko blockbuster at Tate Modern’, review of ‘Rothko’, Tate Modern.
- 25/09/08 ‘Sizzling bacon’, review of ‘Francis Bacon’, Tate Britain.
- 22/01/08 ‘There’s a Crack in the Tate’, review of ‘Louise Bourgeois’, Tate Modern.
- 26/07/07 ‘The film of Dalí’, Review of ‘Dalí and Film’, Tate Modern.
- 22/07/07 ‘Blind Light at The Hayward’, review of ‘Antony Gormley; Blind Light’, Hayward Gallery.
- 22/03/07 ‘The Dirty World of Gilbert & George’, review of ‘Gilbert and George: Major Exhibition’, Tate Modern.
- 01/03/07 ‘Treasure trove from nothing’, review of ‘John Armleder: About Nothing’, South London Gallery.
- 24/01/07 ‘Protest lost at Tate Britain’, review of ‘State Britain’, Tate Britain.
- 12/10/06 ‘Steamroller Flattens Turner Prize’, review of Turner Prize, Tate Britain.
- 28/09/06 ‘Building Blocks’, review of ‘Martin Blake; Constructed Paintings’, Sassoon Gallery.
- 28/09/06 ‘A damn good Hood in the Wood!’, review of ‘Hood in the Wood’, Unicorn Theatre.
- 14/09/06 ‘Improve the world in 60 years’, review of ‘How to Improve the World’, Hayward Gallery.
- 10/08/06 ‘This is why We Love Peckham’, review of ‘I Love Peckham’ festival, Peckham.
- 10/08/06 ‘Oz has a buzz’, review of ‘Oz’, Unicorn Theatre.
- 04/08/06 ‘I love Peckham, do you?’, preview of ‘I Love Peckham’ Festival, Peckham.
- 26/07/06 ‘Passion for paint’, review of ‘Passion for paint’, National Gallery.
- 21/07/06 ‘Love and death blown up’, review of Bill Viola, Haunch of Venison.
- 21/07/06 ‘Is this how contemporary artists party?’, review of Pierre Huyghe, Albert Oehlen, Whitechapel.
- 20/07/06 ‘Celebration or hangover?’, review of ‘Pierre Huyghe, Celebration Park’, Tate Modern.
- 06/06/06 ‘Kandinsky’s colourful Spirit’, review of ‘Kandinsky: The Path to Abstraction’, Tate Modern.
- 06/06/06 ‘Queasy colours’, review of Howard Hoddgkin, Tate Britain.
- 22/06/06 ‘A rich Rembrandt’, review of ‘Rembrandt & Co, Dealing in Masterpieces’, Dulwich Picture Gallery.
- 15/06/06 ‘Holding life in your hands’, review of Graeme Miller, Dilston Grove.
- 15/06/06 ‘Visions of Nature’, review of Suran Derges, Purdy Hicks Gallery.
- 08/06/06 ‘Constable: The Great Landscapes’, review of ‘Constable: The Great Landscapes’, Tate Britain.
- 02/06/06 ‘Another new world?’, review of ‘Modernism, Designing a New World’ at Victoria and Albert Museum.
- 02/06/06 ‘A play for pirates!’, review of ‘Treasure Island’, Unicorn Theatre.
- 01/06/06 ‘Do you want to go around the world?’, review of ‘Around the World in 80 Days’ at South London Gallery and the Institute of Contemporary Art.
- 24/05/06 ‘Irish Visions’, review of ‘Other Visions’, Purdy Hicks Gallery.
- 24/05/06 ‘Artists show us inside art’, review of ‘Inside/Outside’ from ‘Artists Show Art’.
- 18/05/06 ‘Undercover Surrealism’, review of ‘Undercover Surrealism’, Hayward Gallery.
- 12/05/06 ‘Artists Show Art’, preview of ‘Inside/Outside’ from Artists Show Art.
- 11/05/06 ‘Temporal Moments at the Cafe Gallery’ Review of Kabir Hussain’s ‘Temporal Moments’.
- 5/05/06 ‘Outside is in!’, review of ‘Inner Worlds Outside’, Whitechapel Gallery.
- 27/04/06 ‘Is this the New World?’, review of ‘Albers and Moholy-Nagy…the new world’, Tate Modern.
- 21/04/06 ‘The London Group in Southwark’, review of the London Group Festival.
- 4/04/06 ‘Cooltan Arts: A Safe Place’, review of Cooltan Arts Exhibition and Gallery.
- 06/04/06 ‘A Portrait of Everything?’, review of Nigel Cooke, South London Gallery.
- 30/03/06 ‘Nature Studies’, review of Neeta Madahar, Purdy Hicks Gallery.
- 30/03/06 ‘Dissecting the natural world’, review of Zoe Benbow, Café Gallery.
- 23/3/06 ‘Go Play Antarctica!’, review of Play Antarctica, Unicorn Theatre.
- 24/02/06 ‘The Seduction of Destruction’, review of Gothic Nightmares, Tate Britain.
- 16/02/06 ‘The Art of Light’, review of Dan Flavin, Hayward Gallery.
- 16/02/06 ‘Gallipoli’, review of Tony Linforth-Hall, Gallery 33,
- 09/02/06 ‘Where’s the well?’, rview of Daniel Roth, South London Gallery.
- April 2019. ‘Chromopathos’, in Arts and Letters, Issue 1, Cambridge, USA.
- 2019-20. Being Sedated, anthology of poems being prepared, publication forthcoming.
- Autumn 2015. ‘Tricks of the Mind’, in Battersea Review.
- February 2015. “Dull’ in The Dull
- February 2013. ‘And I quote’, in Inky Needles.
- May 2013. ‘JEu du coeur’, in Squeaky Wheels.
- ‘Mulvey, patriarchy and gender: expression and disruption in visual art’ in New Review of Film and Television Studies,15, 4. Special Issue on Laura Mulvey.
- 05/11 ‘The Department of Wrong Answers’ in A-N magazine.
- 07/10 ‘Making Restorative Sense with Deleuzian Morality, Art Brut and the Schizophrenic’ in Deleuze Studies, Edinburgh University Press.July 2010, Vol. 4, No. 2: pp. 234-255.
- 01/10 ‘The Wild Being of Louise Bourgeois: Merleau-Ponty in the Flesh’ in Romance Studies 28 No. 1, pp.47-56.
- 01/09 ‘Animated’ review of show at Wysing Arts Centre, for A-Nmagazine.
- 07/08 ‘Sensations spill a Deluge over the Figure’ in DeleuzeStudies, Edinburgh University Press.
Career History: Founder of the Making Sense Hub – organising colloquia, leading aesthetic movement
I chaired, organised and led a movement of collaborative, creative thought at the following colloquia. These events grew into a fertile and inspired hub of artists, psychologists, analysts, philosophers and intellectuals who gathered in the name of activating the transformative potential offered by engaging with art.
- ‘Making Sense 5: The Six Senses of Art’, 12/07/13, The Metropolitan Museum, New York (with Robert Storr).
- ‘Making Sense 4: EsSenseAcross Cultures’, 17/12/12, Cité Universitaire, Paris (with David Black).
- ‘Making Sense 3: Beauty, Creativity and Healing’,5/11/11, Whitney Humanities Center, University of Yale (with Elaine Scarry).
- ‘Making Sense 2: Théorie esthétique et pratique artistique’,19-20/10/10, Centre Pompidou, Paris (with Bernard Stiegler).
- ‘Making Sense 1; an international interdisciplinary colloquium for an effective aesthetics’,25/09/09, University of Cambridge (with Jean-Luc Nancy).
Career History: Artist and filmmaker. Artwork exhibited/published and film screenings
- February 2018. Psycho, artwork published in ‘Broken Grey Wires’, Issue 1, London.
- October 2017. Touché, Experimenta Film Festival, India.
- July 2017. Minding Mines in India, Impact DOCS Awards Festival, California.
- May 2017. Minding Mines in India, Docs Without Borders Festival, Detroit. Won Award of Excellence.
- April 2017. Minding Mines in India, TMC London Film Festival, London.
- March 2017. Minding Mines in India, Arthouse Asia Film Festival, Kolkata, India.
- February 2017. Touché (revised, new version), 3-Minute Film Festival, in Santa Barbara, CA.
- January 2015. Touchéscreening at KHOJ International Artists Association, New Delhi, India.
- October 2014. Trance (solo, blindfolded dance performance), Cultural Studies Association of Australasia Conference ‘Provocations’, University of Wollongong, Ausralia.
- September 2014. Flashback (film and installation) at ‘Platform’, Masters Degree Show, Cambridge School of Art.
- June 2014. Touché (16mm film), screening at ‘Changing Rooms/Changing Spaces’ exhibition, Grafton Centre, Cambridge.
- April 2014. The Pulse of Prāṇāyāmaperformance-installation at ETHOS Hot Yoga Sports Studios, Cambridge.
- April 2014. TRANCEperformance at ‘Body Talk’ exhibition at ‘Changing Spaces’ gallery, Norfolk Street, Cambridge.
- March 2014. Pulseexhibited in ‘I don’t know how to do this…’, at ‘Changing Spaces’ gallery, Norfolk Street, Cambridge.
- February 2014. Touché (16mm film) screened at Cambridge Arts Picturehouse. World Première.
- December 2013. ‘Pulse’ installation in ‘INTERPLAY’, group show at ‘Changing Spaces’, 10 Green Street, Cambridge.
- November 2013. ‘The Monument of Sensation’, solo show at Cambridge School of Art.
- ‘Passion oozes’ printed in SqueakyWheelsmagazine, 15/5/13.
- ‘Delusion’ printed on front cover of DeleuzeStudies5, 3, 2011.
- ‘Flame’ printed on front cover of Making Sense: For an Effective Aesthetics, 2011 (eds. Lorna Collins and Elizabeth Rush)
- From July 2011 onwards, ‘La Passion de la Terre’, permanent addition to Jesus College Art Collection.
- ‘Installation: Making Sense’(with Bandy Lee), 05/07/11, International Association of Visual Sociology, Visual Research as a Collaborative and Participatory Practice, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada.
- 12-14 July 2010. Installation ‘Making sense of territory; the painting event as a territorial gesture’ with Xéna Lee, at ‘Philosophy in Practice’, the exhibition at the Third International Deleuze Studies Conference, held at De Brakke Grond, Amsterdam.
- June 2009. Installation ‘Making Sense with the children of Cambodia’, Mémoire de l’Avenir’s show ‘Métissage’, Paris.
- July-August 2008. ‘Work Shop 1: Lorna Collins’, ‘The Shop, XVIII Jesus Lane.
- March 2009. ‘L’éternel retour de la douleur exquise’ and ‘La Passion de la Terre’ in Jesus College Art Exhibition.
- March 2008. ‘Playing with Fire’ in Jesus College Art Exhibition.
- Selected for ‘YoungArt 1999’. Painting exhibited at the Royal College of Art.
Continued Professional Development
- 05/19: Time to Change Champion e-learning module, Stigma and Discrimination.
- 05/19: Time to Change Champion e-learning module, Organising a Time to Change Activity.
- 05/19: Time to Change Champion e-learning module, Social Contact.
- 11/18: ‘Train the Trainer’, Activia Training, Tower Bridge, London (funded by Bucks Mind).
- 07/18: Prevent training: Channel General Awareness Module, College of Policing.
- 11/13: Teachers’ Studio, Royal College of Art. ‘ReachOutRCA’ course on teaching art, design and visual communication.
- 09/12: Certified Continuing Professional Development in Mindfulness and Art Therapy, BAAT.
- 04/11: Certified TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language).